Monday, May 3, 2010

Take down that scaffolding!

I don’t like scaffolding!

Okay, that might seem a bit strange. What’s wrong with scaffolding? Well, I’m actually referring to a term used in teaching ESL (although, I’m sure it could be used in other subjects as well). Scaffolding is basically giving the students all the tools they need to complete an assignment. Examples include vocabulary lists, gap fill exercises with the words to fill in the blanks included, dialogues and examples, examples, examples. In Korea, my co-teacher is my biggest form of scaffolding. Obviously, in low level and beginner classes these tools are very important. Students must build up their vocabulary and be able to form basic sentences. The Korean teachers help me out a lot with explaining directions and grammar. But as the students progress in their English learning, I believe scaffolding becomes more and more of a hindrance.

When teaching English in Korea it is easy to see how the culture comes into play in the classroom. Koreans always work together (in America we would probably call this cheating). This can be great in the ESL classroom because the students who understand what’s going on can explain to the others. But the big draw back with this is that the lower level students simply look to their friend or teacher for the answer, and then just repeat it. No critical thinking involved at all. The next time I ask that same student that same question, he has no idea what the answer is. This is the ultimate form of scaffolding. All the answers are just sitting right there, in the form of a student who has memorized the words.

Also, Koreans (like most people) do not like looking like a fool in front of their classmates. They have great difficulty taking risks with their English speaking. Losing face (being embarrassed) is a huge deal in this culture, so if they think their answer is not perfect, they simply won’t say it. In order for me to get some of my students to say anything I must give them a dialogue to read. Obviously this does not allow for the flexibility that the real world demands.

One of my biggest complaints is the dependency on my co-teachers. Many of my students know English quite well. If I speak slowly and possibly repeat myself a couple of times, they can understand. But what happens is I say something one time, and the students automatically look to my co-teacher for translation. Even if I ask them not to translate, the saving face situation comes into play and they feel obligated. Sometimes I wish they weren’t there at all! Speaking English takes practice and a willingness to attempt to understand. It’s not easy, and many of my students are under the impression that if they memorize a few phrases they will be able to communicate in the real world. It doesn’t exactly work like that!

Every once in awhile I like to give an assignment without scaffolding. For example, last week I taught a lesson on music genres. With about 10 minutes left in the class, I asked the students to talk with each other about what music they like and dislike. I didn’t write “I like ______________ and I dislike ________________.” on the board. I didn’t write a dialogue. I just told them to talk about what we had just learned on their worksheet. They were completely stumped. I gave a short example with my co-teacher. Still, nothing. Finally, I said they could talk with each other in front of the class for a sticker (I have a sticker system). One group volunteered. The rest looked at me like I had two heads. The group that did it was great! I gave them a sticker and a couple more students volunteered. They realized I didn’t care what they said, just that they used the English they know to discuss music. They know how to do this. They just don’t have the confidence to do it without scaffolding.

My main goal in teaching English is to give my students the confidence to talk to anyone in the world who also knows English. To use their (often extensive) vocabulary to communicate EVERYTHING on their minds. I want them to understand they won’t have a simple dialogue or a vocabulary list in real life. And that’s okay.

Check out this video blog for a more in depth look at scaffolding by someone with a lot more experience in ESL than I have.

Also, check out this TEDxTalk by an amazing public school math teacher. He also talks about scaffolding in the classroom and how important it is to allow the students to develop ideas independently. I love seeing smart, young teachers making school interesting and fun for their students!



1 comment:

  1. I can totally see your frustration with scaffolding. The point of scaffolding is to help kids as they are setting out to learn and then to slowly remove it once it is no longer necessary. The goal is for them to get to the point where they can work independently. It sucks that your teacher are prohibiting that from happening. I would be pissed too. The cultural layer certainly sounds like it makes ittgat mch harder. Bluh. Good luck dealng with that!

    I loved the math video. I am constantly trying to figure out the balance of modelling for kids (educator are soo into it) and having kids figure it out for themselves. I really liked what that guy had to say about it. Thanks for posting. Take care!

    ReplyDelete