Monday, April 5, 2010

Should I stay or should I go now...

Daniel and I have recently been discussing our next move. We thought we had it all figured out. We would finish our contracts in August, then get the hell out of this country. Then we realized if we stayed we could make more money. That there's the dilemma. I had the brilliant idea of just staying six more months. Dan could freelance (illegally) and I could go home with one less student loan bill and three grand more in savings. We could move to NYC in the spring and skip the gray winter all together. Every year you stay in Korea your money making potential increases dramatically. When I first got here I was making 1.9 million won ($1,650) a month. Today I make at least 3 million ($2,600). I work a little harder, but not much. This income makes it very difficult to go back to a country in the depths of an economic recession, no matter how much the culture here bugs the living shit out of me.
BTW, when I say six months more, I really mean only four months of actual work. The other two months would be desk warming and taking a three week trip to Thailand, Cambodia and Laos. So instead of being in NYC in snow, we'll be on the beach or hiking in the jungle.
It's a tough choice! On the one hand, I might go mentally insane if I stay here even one extra month, especially without the booze. If we do decide to stay we might have to give up on the no-drinking thing altogether. But if we go, we could end up broke and unemployed. Which means we might have to give up on the no-drinking thing in that situation as well. Everyone knows you can't be on the wagon and unemployed.
We are still debating, I have until next month to decide. I'm leaning toward going back to the states though. I miss my friends and family and I'm desperate for a road trip. I think the logical part of me says stay. This is the most I've ever made, and no rent, car payment or taxes is a serious bonus. Go or stay?

6 comments:

  1. Stay. Four months of work is ever so little for the benefits that you can reap.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I told Amanda both those things. To Chris, yes they could track us down, but nothing illegal has been done, only considered. To Andrea, I know, four months is no time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stay. Things are not good here. You should stay there, if you are inclined to...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Also to be considered: the longer you don't use alcohol, the less inclined you will be to use it ever again. Once you are sober, the idea of drinking to "solve" anything becomes unthinkable~!

    ReplyDelete
  5. .....Australia? Temp companies have a decent amount of work down here....Sydney is beautiful....

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Barbara: I heard it's pretty rough back home, but we are moving to a city with a large ESL market (NYC). Maybe that will help us out? The longer the better with being sober, just trying to get through one day at at time! :)

    @Fallon: Australia? What kind of crazy person moves there?? j/k! It sounds like a lot of fun... we'll have to look into it!

    ReplyDelete